Korechi, Lorechi, Jitechi Re, says Shah Rukh to Kolkatans

Kolkata: "Korechi, Lorechi, Jitechi Re" (We have done it, we have fought it out, we have won it), said Bollywood badshah Shah Rukh Khan on his arrival in the city Monday night, a day after his team Kolkata Knight Riders emerged champions in the Indian Premier League.

KKR co-owner Shah Rukh, who stepped out of the Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose International Airport terminal a little before midnight to a frenzied reception from over a thousand fans, thanked the Kolkatans for their love and backing.

"Thanks everyone. You have given us so much love. We are extremely happy to do for the city what we wanted to do for Kolkata, and Bengal and its people," said an ecstatic Shah Rukh, whose long five year wait for the success of the franchise finally ended in success in Chennai Sunday night.

Sporting a body-hugging black vest, Shah Rukh seemed in great spirits as he thanked Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee for her constant support.

West Bengal government ministers deputed by Banerjee garlanded and presented a bouquet to the mega star and actress Juhi Chawla, another KKR co-owner.

Before boarding his car, Shah Rukh mingled with the crowd, waved and threw flying kisses to mad shouts of "Shah Rukh, Shah Rukh".

About an hour before his arrival, fans -- many of them beating drums and chanting "KKR, KKR", welcomed Kolkata Knight Riders captain Gautam Gambhir and the other players "home".

The people, who waited for hours at the airport for a glimpse of the team members, carried KKR flags and waved big cut-outs of Shah Rukh and the players.

Several fans painted their faces in colours of the KKR jerseys.

As the players, tired but cheerful, walked out one after another from the airport terminal, they were received on a makeshift stage with bouquets and garlands by state ministers, amidst wild cheers from the fans.

"Thank you Kolkata, thanks for your support," said captain Gautam Gambhir, adding in Bengali "Aami Kolkatar chele (I am a Kolkata boy)".

The brief function over, the players were put into the team bus with a heavy security cordon enroute to the team hotel.

Despite the clock touching 11 p.m., there were people lining the route.