Name: Gagan Narang
Date Of Birth: May 6, 1983
State: Andhra Pradesh
- In recognition with his achievements, Gagan Narang was conferred with the Padma Shree Award in 2010.
- Gagan Narang was selected for the prestigious Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna award for 2010. This is the highest sports award in the country.
Awards for 2012 Olympics Bronze medal
- Rs 1 crore cash prize by State Government of Haryana.
- Rs 50 lakh cash prize by the State Government of Andhra Pradesh.
- Rs 50 lakh cash prize by the State Government of Rajasthan.
- Rs 20 lakh cash prize by Steel Ministry of India.
- 2 kg of Gold by Sahara India Pariwar.
- Gagan Narang won the bronze medal in the 10m air rifle event at the 2012 London Olympics with a total score of 701.1, becoming India's first medal winner at the 2012 Games.
- Gagan also clinched a silver medal in his pet event at the Asian Games 2010. He also combined with Abhinav Bindra and Sanjeev Rajput to provide the country with another silver, in the team event behind champions China.
- Gagan Narang added 4 gold medals to the Indian tally at the 2010 Commonwealth Games in New Delhi. In the Men's 10 m air rifle singles event, he shot a perfect 600 which was a new record.
- He won an air rifle gold medal at the World Cup 2006 and followed that event in April 2010.
- Gagan qualified for the 2008 ISSF World Cup Final after he won a gold in the World Cup in China earlier in 2008. Gagan shot a perfect 600 in the qualification round. He scored 103.5 in the final round making total score of 703.5 to gain the universe record.
- Gagan Narang won a gold medalist in the Afro Asian games, 2003 in Hyderabad on October 26, 2003 in Men's 10m air rifle competition.
Gagan Narang finally did it in the London Olympics. The ace India shooter won India their first medal at the mega event by winning a bronze medal in the 10-meter Air Rifle event with an overall score of 701.1. Narang who was participating in his third consecutive Olympics, finally achieved the target that we all knew he was capable of.
Narang was in tremendous form going into the tournament. He was among the first shooters to have qualified for the Olympics and had more than a year to prepare for this day. Narang had won four gold medals at the 2010 Delhi Commonwealth Games and had followed it up by two silver medals in the Asian Games a month later.
But it was the Olympic medal that always eluded him. Narang before leaving for the London Olympics had said that he hoped London will be third time lucky for him. He said that the level of competition between Olympics and other event is a lot different as Olympics was the toughest of them all.
Over the years, Narang has a lot of records to his name, including the Commonwealth Games where he shot a perfect 600 to set a new record in 10m air rifle competition. Narang won the gold medal in the Afro-Asian Games in 2003 in Hyderabad. He won gold medal in air rifle in 2006 World Cup and repeated the feat in 2010.
Gagan Narang, who has been a true champion from the past so many years, believes that it is Olympics that shows the true worth of a champion. Narang, who has won four gold medals in Commonwealth Games twice, will cherish the Olympic medal forever, because that is what was missing from his repertoire.
Compiled by Rajveer Singh