FC Goa will host Chennaiyin FC in their home ground, the Fatodra Stadium, for the final match of the Indian Super League (ISL) Season II. Both the teams will be aiming to win this match and become the new champions of the ISL. Both sides convincingly defeated their respective oppositions to march into the finals. It is expected to be a high voltage clash not only between two star-studded teams, but also between two master coaches, Brazilian Zico and Italian Marco Matterazzi.
But before the match, let’s take a look at the players who can make a difference in the match:
1) Leo Moura: The hardworking midfielder from Brazil has been in sensational form in this edition of the ISL. He has been seen taking an immense amount of work-load on himself and is the creator of most of the moves originating from the midfield. He has a record number of assists (8), the highest for any player in the ISL and his presence in the mid-filed will be very crucial if FC Goa want to dominate that zone.
2) Dudu Omagbemi: The Nigerian striker joined FC Goa in the middle of the league as a replacement but will be an important man to watch out for in the finals. He scored the decisive goal in the semi-final against Delhi Dynamos, in this very ground and will be once again keen to do so. He has the instincts of a predator which helps to score goals even from most awkward scenarios.
3) Lucio: If FC Goa has to take home the ISL trophy, Lucio needs to be at his toes to nullify a major threat in the form of Steven Mendoza. In addition to that, there is Jeje, who will not miss the slightest opportunity to score a goal. The veteran Brazilian needs to defend valiantly on the night which will matter the most.
X-Factor: Romeo Fernandes: Romeo might turn out to be the X-factor for FC Goa with his famous runs from the midfield, using which, he breaches the rival defence. He also missed no chance to score a goal, so the Chennaiyin defenders need to keep a check on him.
1) Steven Mendoza: The high scoring Colombian has already scored 12 goals this season and his team will be depending on him heavily for the final clash. A striker with exceptional skills, Mendoza will be the player of the night to watch for because if he gets going, nothing can stop Chennaiyin to walk away with the ISL trophy.
2) Edel Bete: FC Goa will go for an all-out offensive strategy, which means Edel will have a busy time beneath the bar. It was mainly due to his heroics that Chennaiyin survived the ATK scare in the last match. Undoubtedly the best goalkeeper in ISL's short history, FC Goa will have to defeat this last man of defence in order win the final match.
3) Bernard Mendy: Chennaiyin's defence will be led by the experienced Mendy who will have to thwart the rival attacks coming his way. FC Goa will attack with everything they have got and it will be upto Mendy and his peers how they will defend such an offensive outburst.
X-Factor: Jeje Lalpekhlua: Jeje has the knack of scoring of the important goals in crucial matches and there is a high chance he might emulate this habit of his. Playing a second fiddle to Mendoza, FC Goa's defenders cannot underestimate the 24 year old lad from Manipur.
By Dipayan Saha